The most noticeable narcolepsy symptoms are extreme daytime sleepiness and cataplexy. The first symptom that is often developed in a person is excessive sleepiness in daytime by which many people are have been suffering with for years before they receive a proper diagnosis and treatment for this sleeping disorder. Some of the common symptoms of narcolepsy is mentioned in the following;
- Excessive Sleepiness– A person will feel drowsy throughout the day, and have some difficulty in concentrating on the work and staying awake.
- Sleep Attacks– A person would suddenly fall asleep in the middle of work without any warning.
- Sleep Paralysis– It is a temporary inability of a person to move or speak or do any actions when waking up or falling asleep. The brain cycle acts as paralyzed state between the sleeping or waking terms.
- Hallucinations– There are two types of hallucinations that would cause to the patients,
- Hypnogogic Hallucinations– Occurrence of dreams that comes often once you have fall asleep.
- Hypnopompic Hallucinations– Occurrence of dreams at the time of before or during waking up from sleep.
- Cataplexy– A medical condition that occurs due to the sudden episode of muscle control and weakness and physical collapse that is caused to a person due to strong emotions such as laughter and anger.
If you witness any of the above mentioned symptoms then it is really important to take a consult with your doctor or a sleep specialist who would provide you with the proper narcolepsy treatments that may help greatly in improving your health conditions.